Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Review of Rihana's "Loud"

I listened to the album,  and I think its a good album overall, compared to her last album. This album just has eleven (11) tracks and I think that the album could be listened to from start to beginning, which is what I think makes up the component of a good album. The album mostly has a party/techno (pop music) feel to it. Not sure what she was going for.

One thing I really dislike though, is the repition in the songs.

Here is my take on each track.

01 - S&M - Don't know what s or m stands for. She basically talks about being good at being bad. Yeah, I know. :) She speaks about loving her sex and how she likes it.

02 - What's My Name (Feat. Drake) - This is one of the hit singles from the album which everybody should know. This is another song about sex. Gist of the song, sex was good and so the question is asked, "What's my name?".

03 - Cheers (Drink To That) - I think this song will be the next hit single from her album. It's a song you would want to hear after a stressing day or week, lets drink to something. Your boss ;), wife, your work on a hold, etc. Don't let the situation get you down, drink to it.

04 - Fading - Didn't really like this song but, it talks about forgetting a person; the person fading away. I guess the person was not treating her good.

05 - Only Girl (In The World) - Now this is the song that I like. I hear it and I want to move...like a white person. It makes you want to jump and just let go. Its good. I like the mix that she uses also. A lot of girls want to feel this way and I hope that you do find that male that makes you feel that way. Just a point to note (not trying to take the spotlight) males want to feel that way too. I know I sure do...

06 - California King Bed - This song slows down the tempo of the album. I don't think this song should be taking literally. I think the bed is used as a figure of speech to suggest the distance that exist between persons. It would seem as though, persons are expecting a change but there is none due to other issues that exist and so the analogy is used of a king bed to suggest size and space.

07 - Man Down - She tried a reggae thing. Its better than most other reggae songs that I have heard. She uses the straight kick and the bass groove, even though its a keyboard bass, is not bad. I think she handled herself good in terms of the vocals on the rhythm. Message in the song? It sound like she killed someone and is on the run.

08 - Raining Men (Feat. Nicki Minaj) - From the beginning, the song sounds like one that Beyonce did, Diva. That was the first thing I picked up. In this song she doesn't worry about the MANY men that come at her, hence its "raining men". Why doesn't she worry? She has it: looks, money, fame, etc.

09 - Complicated - Nice song. It just talks about a person making it hard for another to love them. Its not that one isn't trying but there is confusion with mixed emotions. One is weak for the other. So I guess its confession of the difficulty one faces when the heart is engaged and entangled and the person wants to let go. Amen. :)

10 - Skin - I think this song will be heard on Fame 95, being played by Deidra. I think its a song that can be used to set the mood to.... daah dah dee. :D Its a cool song though. Skin is about letting go, giving all, being naked.

11 - Love The Way You Lie (Part II) (Feat. Eminem) - I love this version. It gives me a alternative feel. Its the same song (name) with Eminem but with a different mix and feel. As I said, to me, it has an alternative feel to it. I'm not sure I agree with the message in the song though.

Overall, I think its a good album.

Good job Rihana.

No comments: